NM Comunidades en Acción y de Fe, also known as NM CAFé is a non-partisan, non-denominational 501c3 organization, — located in the city of Las Cruces in the heart of southern New Mexico, and just north of the US/Mexico border. We are a multi-faith, multi-cultural group which trains and builds the capacity of low and moderate-income families to help shape public policies aimed at improving people’s quality of life in New Mexico. NM CAFé is also a federation of Faith in Action (formerly known as PICO), the largest faith-based community organization in the country.
Our model of organizing, and building a sustainable justice movement for the long-term, is what is missing in the current conversation of climate and clean energy equity. For decades environmental groups across the country have shaped the narrative, and have done so at the expense of leaving the most vulnerable and the most marginalized out of the conversation. CAFé’s organizing model can help in shifting that narrative, and making clear that in order to shape and win on issues of climate and clean energy, the people mostly impacted by these issues must be at the forefront of those efforts. CAFé has a proven track record for doing this on a number of issues.
We are seeking a full-time (40 hours/week) Community Organizer to join our team. The organizer will be tasked with engaging and building relationships with Southern New Mexican families to take action and build support for a deeper investment in renewable energy at the local level. We are looking for a creative, ambitious, and goal-driven individual who enjoys working with a team, and is passionate about building collective power in rural and/or communities of color. This position also requires the ability to work a non-standard work week, and some evenings and weekends.
- Build, develop and train a base of dedicated Doña Ana, Luna and Otero County volunteers and families that will have a long-term voice for environmental justice policies and values in the community.
- Collaborate with the Director of Organizing to identify and implement strategies that successfully recruit volunteers, build community leaders, and get the attention of decision-makers and media, including public events, press events, meetings or presentations.
- Identify new leaders and nurture their involvement by conducting 1-1s, research meetings, public actions, door to door canvassing and other outreach methods.
- Conduct intensive leadership trainings for high-level leaders to grow their organizing skill set.
- Track organizing work through a database and assist with campaign reporting, as needed.
- Participate in coalition meetings related to the campaign goals and vision, as needed.
- Comply with NM CAFé’s policies and procedures.
- Work effectively as a member of team, with the independence required of this position.
- Minimum 2+ years in grassroots community, issue or labor organizing programs, or in industries that engage the general public, like sales, customer service, or education.
- Experience with databases and/or Excel is a plus.
- Comfortable presenting to bilingual and multicultural audiences, and engaging or collaborating with people in both group and one-on-one settings.
- Enthusiasm and commitment to amplify the voice and leadership of communities of color in New Mexico.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, inclusion and diversity, and an interest in environmental issues that impact our air, land, water and community health.
- Must be able to work a non-standard work week, including nights and weekends on occasion.
- Must be able to learn about and implement key organizing strategies like door-to-door canvassing, phone banking and public speaking.
- Both in-state and out-of-state travel may be required, including regular travel in and around southern New Mexico, and to ABQ/Santa Fe.
- Position is focused in Doña Ana, Luna and Otero county, and organizer must be comfortable in a remote work setting.
This is a full-time salaried position, based on experience. NM CAFé also offers a benefits package that includes vacation and sick time, as well as health care coverage.
NM CAFé is an equal opportunity employer committed to racial justice and equity in the workplace.