Organization Overview: NM CAFé is a faith based community based organization, aspiring to create a culture of support that empowers New Mexicans to act on their own behalf towards a better quality of life. Since its inception, CAFé has been a crucial actor in the political landscape in southern New Mexico, creating a “land of opportunity” by challenging our elected leaders to put the needs of families and the common good of New Mexico first. At the helm of CAFé’s efforts are strong spiritual leaders who have played a pivotal role in healing the state, and restoring people’s confidence in a responsive government that promotes opportunity for all. NM CAFé is an affiliate of Faith in Action.
Position: CAFé Executive Director shall be a highly talented and motivated individual with a passion for racial and economic justice, and an appetite for deep and lasting transformation across Southern New Mexico. Furthermore, the Executive Director must have experience in applying big picture ideas to day to day operations, and oversee a diverse and committed team.
Brief Job Overview:
The Executive Director is an energetic, self-motivated position that requires the capacity to work on the ground level of the organization as well as the capacity to develop staff, board, and leaders. This role assumes the responsibility to support staff in order to maintain the organization through grant writing, maintaining relationships with funders, overseeing organizing campaigns around decriminalization, climate justice, economic dignity, the 2020 U.S. Census, and civic engagement outcomes for southern New Mexicans
The ideal candidate will have a proven commitment to social justice, thrive in a team-based atmosphere and express comfort working in a multi-racial, multi-faith environment. The Executive Director position is responsible for leading and managing daily operations of the organization, and is supervised by the NM Comunidades en Acción y de Fé Board of Directors.
The Executive Director will be held accountable for overseeing the following critical responsibilities:
- Provide leadership and support to all staff,
- Provide leadership opportunities with the tools necessary to reach the overall vision and goals towards effective campaigns,
- Work towards building strategies that support and develop all CAFé community leaders, as they work towards their own commitment to climb their own ladder of engagement and their own alignment towards CAFé’s vision,
- Hire, manage, and ensure high-quality professional development of CAFe staff and team,
- Develop a working environment of trust and empowerment among CAFé team,
- Work to support CAFé team as they develop their own presence in the community, and representing the organization and its values in public life,
- Build coalitions with elected officials, policy leaders, and allies,
- Develop long-term relationships with leaders, clergy, elected officials, strategic allies, and funders,
- Support CAFé team with cultivating relationships with congregations, clergy and the community,
- Oversee NM CAFé yearly budget and develop an annual and long-term strategic plan to continue its successful expansion,
- Secure resources from businesses and foundations through grants, solicitations, and events–and work towards a sustainable individual supporter donor base,
- Manage existing grants while developing a plan to expand and further diversify CAFé’s funding and financial capacity, that is aligned with CAFé’s vision and goals,
- Work with the board of directors and staff to maintain financial stability of the organization,
- Build a solid relationship with CAFé Board of Directors, ensuring a development plan that is aligned with their own ladder of engagement, and vision and goals that are aligned with the overall organization.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experiences:
- Must live or be willing to relocate to Las Cruces, NM and have a long-term commitment to the communities which we serve,
- Personal qualities that include integrity, mission commitment, respect for diversity, humility, ability to motivate and inspire, and a faith foundation,
- The ability to interact with staff (at all levels) in a fast-paced environment, often times under pressure, remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient, with a high level of professionalism is crucial to this role,
- Expert level written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, strong decision making ability and attention to detail,
- Ability to problem solve and multi-task is essential,
- Commitment to eliminate racial disparities that persist throughout our society,
- Demonstrated competence and leadership in multi-faith and multi-cultural contexts,
- Effective implementation of local and federated campaign strategies and campaign victories,
- Track record of strong staff development, supervision and recruitment,
- Ability to navigate through political environments, and familiarity with state-wide and southern border communities and knowledge of the key issues they face,
- Proven track record in developing and executing strategic plans,
- Knowledge and experience with implementation of civic engagement,
- Ability to apply a systems (political, social, economic, and multicultural) analysis to organizing work,
- Knowledge of legislative process at city, state, and national levels,
- Proven track record of successfully raising funds from private and individual philanthropic sources,
- Experience managing an operating budget for a non-profit organization,
- History of fundraising, diversifying funding sources, and developing financial capacity (highly preferred)
- Must be bilingual (highly preferred)
- Must be open to significant amount of travel, state-wide, regionally, and nationally.
Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico —
Highly competitive salary range (depending on experience), augmented with a generous benefits package and paid vacation, sick, and holiday leave. The position includes opportunities for training and coaching within the Faith in Action Network.
Please send resume, cover letter, and three references to:
Brenda Martinez, Operations Manager
Include “Executive Director” application in the subject of your email.