Organization Overview: NM CAFé is a faith based community based organization, aspiring to create a culture of support that empowers New Mexicans to act on their own behalf towards a better quality of life. Since its inception, CAFé has been a crucial actor in the political landscape in southern New Mexico, creating a “land of opportunity” by challenging our elected leaders to put the needs of families and the common good of New Mexico first. At the helm of CAFé’s efforts are strong spiritual leaders who have played a pivotal role in healing the state, and restoring people’s confidence in a responsive government that promotes opportunity for all. NM CAFé is an affiliate of Faith in Action.
Position: CAFé Community Organizer will receive an intensive training in the CAFé organizing model. Upon completion of this training, will engage community residents, establish a grassroots base of trained leaders, engage in advocacy efforts around decriminalization, climate justice, economic dignity, the 2020 U.S. Census, and civic engagement outcomes for southern New Mexicans.
Brief Job Overview:
- Master knowledge of the NM CAFé organizing model, and the issues relating to CAFé’s pathways of decriminalization, climate justice, and economic dignity.
- Build a base of community members, conducting campaigns based on their base building utilizing the NM CAFé organizing model.
- Establish leadership teams in assigned communities and issues.
- Organize and coordinate monthly community meetings and smaller committee meetings/trainings as needed.
- Recruit and train community leaders in advocacy projects and activities.
- Develop grassroots leadership through delegation and coaching.
- Provide weekly written reports to document activities, updates, and results via conference calls and timely updates.
- Update contacts on the NM CAFé database on a weekly basis.
- Participate in bi-weekly staff meetings and other professional development trainings.
- Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experiences:
- Experience and passion for community organizing,
- Experience in organizing and facilitating trainings,
- Experience in working with diverse communities,
- A proactive solutions-oriented approach,
- Excellent interpersonal skills (one on one and group dynamics), cultural competency, strong listening skills, and humor,
- Patience and flexibility,
- Strong collaborator and team player,
- Written and spoken proficiency in English and Spanish,
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, Google Drive tools, & on-line navigation,
- Self-motivated, resourceful, and creative,
- Ability to work evenings and weekends,
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing situations,
- Excellent time management skills,
- Self-confidence and self-assurance,
- Car & insurance
Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico —
Full-time: $40,000 p/year
Please send resume, cover letter, and three references to:
Brenda Martinez, Operations Director
Include “Community Organizer” application in the subject of your email.